| .: About Me
& Other Stuff
||Projects - Battlezone
Battlezone Upright - Repair Done,
status from 18.October 2007
A new "aquisition" from October 2004, a Battlezone Upright.
one was offered on EBAY in July as "defective" together with
second one, that was functioning. The price went too high for those
two. After the auction I contacted the buyer and after some months of
thinking and trying to repair it by himself he offered me the second
"defective" one which I bought. WOW, a 1300km drive for an Arcade Game.
The Cab itself is in a good shape with only minimum damage around the
lower edges. The sideart has some scratches, but in overall it looks
great (see links below). The marquee is fine. The controlpanel has some
wear and minor rust on the right side of the handles. The handles
themselves are not broken, however the bellows which bring the handles
back into the center position will probaly need replacing. The monitor
has some slight burn-in, but powers on and the neck glows. Not seen
more, as the PCB's have a problem (which I knew). The coindor
made of stainless steel which I think is true for all the european
built cabs. The marquee lighting is completely dead incl. the
After removing the heavy inside stuff I moved the cab with with the
help of a second person in the gameroom in the cellar and re-assembled
As I tested out and knew it already, one ROM at location A3 was missing
and the previous owner said the PCB's were not working. So I decided to
swap another set of PCB's in that I already had. Well, the success was
poor as well. No picture, but two high tones in Test Mode. Replaced two
2114 RAMS at H2/J2. Next test: two low tones, two high tones. Replaced
A1/A2 RAMS, no effect...two low tones, two high tones. Looking into the
drawings I realized, A1/A2 belong to the Vector RAM and there might be
some other chips involved as this RAM is kind of "dual-ported" between
the Main Processor and the Vector State Machine.
Now how does the CPU access the vector generator RAM? Via the Vector
Generator Address-Selector 74LS157 Multiplexers. I checked all of their
outputs with a scope and the one at E4 had a floating output. Replaced
it and the board powered up and no more beeps.
However, the output on the monitor screen is still missing, at least it
looked like that. The "chattering noise of the yokes was clearly
hearable, the neck glowed, high Voltage of 12 KV was also there, so I
decided to raise intensity a little. The picture came on, but with all
the "supposed-to-be-blank-vectors" visible. The problem is that the Z
output of the board is "0", so blanking all the time.
The blanking problem was in the "windowing" sample&hold
After replacing the TL084 quad OP-AMP I got a picture in the screen.
However, it was shifted to the right and missing 25% of the left side.
The CRT was ok, as I put it on my Asteroids and it worked there. Then
suddenly the Z input was dead again, but also the x-Axis showed a weird
picture on the oscilloscope, far different than in the Minitor Manual.
Tracing back the signal I found that a 6021 D/A Converter has died :(.
Put a new one in and .... picture was there again, but still missing
the 25% on the left. Again the windowing circuit fired the blanking
signal. In the end the responsible IC was the newly swapped-in TL084
from above. It caused the voltage of the Sample&Hold circuit to go down
Now it is working technically wise apart from the lighting and I
can have look at cleaning and reworking the cab, the controls
Today I did some cleaning and repair of
Joysticks needed mainly a cleaning, on bellow was defective in that the
inner metall ring was loose. I glued it back with Cyanoacrylat, hope
that will last a while. Added some missing screws, soldered some wires
together and added heatshrink tube. Looks very nicely now.
Next step was cleaning of the sideart and all of the plexi where the
player and the "watching" persons can look through. Then tried out also
a german flourescent tube for the marquee which worked fine and decided
order a blacklight tube for the backgound as well. Replaced
the coindoor lock where the key did not fit. Now the machine
resides beside my Tempest. Bulbs for the coindoor need also
Update 30. November 2004
The blacklight (UV) tube arrived and
Coindoor bulbs are also replaced now. Left to do is cosmetics (sideart
cleaning) and some repairs (damage lower sides and T-Molding). Also got
a pair of joystick Bellows on EBAY for a reasonable price. The footstep
is also missing. I will try out the Vectorlist if someone can send me
some pics and measures.
Update 16. June 2005
I got a footstep :-) and it is an
one. Not in perfect Condition, but anyway. Got it as a gift from a guy
for which I am trying to repair his GORF, hope that I'll manage to do
To be continued.......
» Battle Zone Upright - Local Links